This small guide will get you started on connecting your web apps with Zapier in order to share data and visualize it in Plecto.
1) In Plecto:
Important: Before you begin, you'll need to create a data source in Plecto:
- Go to 'Data management' > 'Data sources' > 'New data source'.
- Select 'Custom Input' under 'Manual data entry'.
- Write what kind of data you want to collect (e.g. Sales, Leads, Budgets).
- Design the registration box (optional). Here you can add fields to the registration box. You can add as many as you like.
- Click 'Save'.
Example on how to set up and design the data source in Plecto.
After creating the data source in Plecto, simply go to 'New data source' in Plecto.
- Select Zapier under 'Other'.
- Select Google Sheets in the list of zaps by clicking on 'Use this zap'.
2) In Zapier:
- A new window will open in Zapier with a description of how this zap works. Click 'Create this Zap'.
2.2) Set up the Trigger:
- Set up the 'Trigger': 'New or Updated Spreadsheet Row'. Click 'Continue'.
- Connect your Google Sheet Account.
- Select your Spreadsheet and Worksheet. Click 'Fetch & Continue'.
- Choose your 'Trigger App', and follow the guide step by step described by Zapier.
2.3) Set up the Action:
- Set up the 'Action': 'Create New Registration'. Click 'Continue'.
- Connect your Plecto account.
- Set up your Plecto registration.
- Fill out the template (Integration name, User ID, User Name, Data source, External ID). Use the list option to add a dynamic text.
NB: Please see below use case to see an example on how to set up the registration template.
Use Case: How to connect Google Sheets to Plecto
Please make sure that the data in your Google Sheets should include the following column headers: User ID, User name, External ID.
In the following example from Google Sheets, the User ID is the employee ID (that could also be a phone number, e-mail or another unique number per employee), the User Name is the name of the employee and the External ID should be a unique number for each registration (e.g. row number). Value and Customer name are custom fields:
Example on how your Google Sheet could look like.
1) Select your Trigger:
- Select your trigger: Google Sheets.
- Select New or Updated Spreadsheet Row.
- Connect your Google Account.
- Set up the spreadsheet:
2) Select your Action:
- Select Plecto > 'Create a new registration'.
- Connect your Plecto account.
- Edit the template:
Please make sure that the template is filled out correctly:
- Integration Name: Make sure to always write it the same way, if you use multiple zaps from the same 3rd party system, as we use the name to group the users together.
- User ID: Employee ID, e-mail or a unique name/number of each employee.
- User Name: The name of the employee.
- External ID: A unique number for each registration, e.g. row number/ID.
- You might have to click 'Refresh Fields' to show the custom field(s) you have created in you API data source in Plecto.
Need more help? Please get in touch with us via the chat icon. You are also more than welcome to book a meeting with support 😃